Monday, October 15, 2007

Xi'an, China: Buddha's Finger and a Mini-me TerraCotta Warriors


Another full day. Today is our last day in Xi’an and we are off to play at the Famen Temple and the Yangling tombs. The Famen Temple is where a finger bone of Buddha is kept. The Yangling tombs is a mini-me version of the Terra Cotta Warriors. Tomorrow we are off to Mongolia after a stop at the Shaolin Temple where we will be checking out the Kung Fu. As Ellen has already covered the Famen Temple, I will focus on the Yangling Temple. This is the burial site for Emperor Qi and his Empress Wang. The main chambers are 31 meters under the ground and then on top of that another 31 meters of earth has been mounded in pyramid form. Buried around the pyramid are thousands of figures that include all forms of animals, people and their tools. This is a quarter scale version of the Terra Cotta Warriors that have jointed arms and legs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Rather nice site you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.